Thursday, December 12, 2019

Vancouver for 40th - Day 3

Day 3 in Vancouver was Veteran's Day in the U.S. and Remembrance Day in Canada. So it was a quiet morning out walking around, and most places didn't open until 9am - even coffee shops. We ended up at Matchstick for breakfast - the almond butter and honey sourdough toast was excellent, AND they had homemade almond milk (for me, that is always a win for a coffee shop).
The fall colors were so gorgeous...and I can't thank my husband enough for this amazing trip. You will also notice that Dave is wearing a poppy - you can read here the history of the remembrance poppy, but the majority of the people walking around were wearing these. I had one, and I lost it, and then Dave bought me another one, which I somehow proceeded to lose also. (There is no safety pin on them, just a straight pin, so they do not stay on clothing very well.)
Walked by KPMG - I miss the people and caliber of the Big 4, but I don't miss the long hours or the stress.
We watched the Remembrance Day parade.
This is the Gastown Steam Clock, and it is the world's first steam powered clock. It cost $42,000 and the clock weighs over 2 tons (I assume that is in Canadian dollars and I don't know if that is adjusted for inflation).
Near Canada Place - to the right of us is where all the cruise ships come in.
A Harbour Air plane landing. 
We did a half hour flight over Vancouver in one of these float planes.
It was both of our first times in a float plane. I was surprised at how smooth the takeoff and landing were.
Vancouver is a high-rise and walking city. The white arena in this picture is where the Vancouver Canucks play.
I was glad I actually got one picture with my poppy :)
Such a fun - and different - activity!
We finished the plane tour around 3pm or so, and we hadn't eaten lunch, so we stopped in to Tractor and just had soup. It had started drizzling and was chilly out so soup was a perfect option to hold us over until dinner.
Dinner Monday night was at Wildebeest, but we were enjoying ourselves too much and forgot to take a picture.


No comments: