Sunday, May 24, 2020

Soldier Pass Trail

Since we were not in Indianapolis today, we decided to take a day trip up to Sedona and hike the Solider Pass Trail to the cave. 
We first came to the Devil's Kitchen Sinkhole. The most recent part of this fell in 1989, but I overheard a tour guide and he was pointing out what portion they expect to fall next.
The picture doesn't do the depth justice. You would be dead if you fell into this sinkhole.
We then came to the Seven Sacred Pools. These were not too impressive - maybe they would be better after a rainstorm.
The pictures online make it look like a stream was running right through where I am standing and filling each pool.

The views were gorgeous and it was a beautiful day.




This is the view from inside the cave. Pictures with people in them were difficult due to lighting.
This hole in the rock below shows the opening where I am sitting above from the outside of the cave.
Inside the cave.
Lighting was much better with no people.


All in all, was a decent hike. My phone told me it was 3.4 miles total. It is not a difficult trail, with the exception of about 1/4 of the mile from the top then it gets a bit strenuous. If I did this hike again, I would not go on a holiday weekend and I would go before sunrise to avoid people and hopefully get a little better lighting for pictures in the cave. But was still great to be outside with Dave enjoying God's beautiful creation.

After our hike we stopped at the Local Juicery, which is my favorite place for an after-hike snack. Today I had the Match Mylkshake (almond milk, matcha, banana, almond butter, coconut flakes, vegan protein, spinach and dates).

No comments: