Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pop, Soda, Coke - Whatever You Want To Call It

I do not drink a lot of pop, never have.  When I was growing up, it was not something that my mom would let us drink very often.  We only were allowed to have it for special events, like birthdays, holidays and after swim meets.  Dr. Pepper was always my favorite, and if that was not available, I would resort to Root Beer.  I have given up pop twice in my life - once in 2001 for Mikele's wedding and once in 2007 for Kelly's wedding.  In 2007, I started my "no pop" streak on January 20 because the client that I was auditing at the time had a soda fountain, and I was drinking way too much Mr. Pibb.  After Kelly's wedding in May 2007, I did not have pop until January 1, 2009.  The longer I went with no pop, it became more like a challenge.  On New Year's Day my family was here in NYC, and we went to Staten Island to visit an old neighbor.  She had Cherry Pepsi, so I decided to have a can.  After not drinking it for a while, it tasted like I was drinking pure sugar.  I have had pop a few more times since January 1, and every time I have any I regret even drinking the stuff.  It is just water and high fructose corn syrup, which I try to avoid anyway.  So, as of today, I am done with it for good.  Here goes the start of another long streak, probably a permanent streak.

2 comments:

Mikele said...

Yeah, me too. Not.

Kevin said...

Different strokes for different folks, I say. So what's wrong with high fructose corn syrup, anyway? How do you think I maintain my girlish figure? You go ahead and boycott....just means more for me! I'll be cheering for THE STREAK.