Sunday, December 3, 2017

Weekend Back East - November 3-6, 2017

My entire family (with the exception of Kellyn) was in Connecticut for the first weekend of November. My cousin Tyler got married that weekend so that is why we all made the trip. I had been to CT before when I lived in NYC but only on day trips, so had not spent much time in the state. The wedding was in Danbury and we stayed at Hotel Zero Degrees in the same town.

We flew in on a noon flight on Friday so we landed at JFK at about 8pm. The original plan was that my mom, dad and Kyle would already be at the hotel, but that plan only worked for Kyle, as my parents' flight was cancelled Thursday night and they landed at JFK about an hour before Dave and I. We rented a car and made it to the hotel by about 10pm.

Saturday morning Dave and I drove to Westport to go to the Westport Garden Cafe at a place called Shop Terrain for brunch. We invited the rest of my family but no one wanted to come.


They had flower pot bread and honey-lavendar infused butter.

After brunch Dave found a lighthouse and we walked/hiked/scrambled out to the lighthouse.
This is the Black Rock Harbor Lighthouse in Bridgeport, CT.

This lighthouse was damaged in Hurricane Sandy.
After the lighthouse we found a cute little local coffee shop - I liked the "Drink Local" on the cups.
We then drove back to the hotel and decided to go to Blue Jay Orchards for some apple picking. When we checked into the hotel, there was a little information card of things to do in the area and apple picking was one of them. I have been apple picking a handful of times, but no one else in my family had ever been.


We picked a half peck (I think that was the measurement). It was the smallest bag available given we had to fly these apples back to AZ.



This is how you pick apples that are too high to reach standing on your own. Dave is strong :)
These looked like cranberries but they were baby apples.
Saturday night was the wedding. The ceremony was outside and the remainder of the night was all inside.
I liked this display in the reception area. Tyler is from Scottsdale, Lindsay from Bethel and they live in Brooklyn.
Some mirror shots.
Family pic - minus Kellyn. It was going to be too much for her to travel with the kids.

The first dance.
Cheers!
The "kids" table - our parents were all at the "adult" table next to us.
The Horton cousins - Bryan, Me, Tyler, Eric, Shane and Kyle.
Congrats Tyler!
Cutting the cake.
They had a cappuccino bar which was a nice touch.
The wedding venue - Fox Hill Inn.
On Sunday morning we checked out of the hotel and drove to JFK to drop off the car. Kyle left from there to fly to Toronto for work, and the rest of us took the train into the city for about 24 hours. Getting to the hotel should have been a simple process, but it was a Sunday so downtown 6 trains were not running. We ended up taking an uptown train and then got on a downtown train to Grand Central and then walked to the hotel from there.
Dave and I left my parents at the hotel and we went to the TKTS booth in Times Square to get show tickets for Sunday night.
We saw Waitress with Jason Mraz.
It was an ok show - definitely not one of the best Broadway shows I have seen, but also not one of the  worst.

On Monday morning we went to breakfast at H&H Bagels in my old neighborhood. I stopped for coffee at this new coffee place on the UES.
We then walked through Central Park back towards the hotel.


It was still pretty green which was surprising. Usually by November "fall" was in full force in Central Park.




Once we got out of the Park, Dave and I walked quickly back towards to the hotel to grab our suitcases and go to Pressed Juicery for a freeze before heading to the airport. My parents had a flight about 3 hours later than ours, so they went to Bryant Park Grill for lunch and then headed to the airport.

It was a fun weekend. I am glad we were able to go to the wedding, and also experience a little bit of east coast fall since we don't have that in Arizona.

No comments: