Saturday, March 31, 2018

Newport Beach - March 28-31, 2018

We were at Newport Beach the last few days. Dave planned this trip for his kids' spring break. We left Wednesday morning and arrived at the beach by about 4pm. We just walked out to Newport Pier and then Dave and I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things to cook dinner.
Thursday morning Kayleigh, Akayla, Dave and I walked to get coffee from Newport Coffee Company.
Since we were just in Iceland, Dave and I both did some work on Thursday. Dave had a fuller work day than I did on Thursday so I took the younger boys out walking around for while. This is a statue of Ben Carlson, and I looked him up today on our drive home and he died in 2014 rescuing someone. 
Jackson and CJ also wanted a donut on our walk back. This is the local donut bakery that is constantly busy.
Thursday during lunch I came out to the beach and did some reading and took a short nap.
Thursday afternoon we made a stop at Pressed Juicery and then to Sprouts again to get dinner items for Thursday night.
We waited to cook dinner until after the sunset Thursday.
It was still pretty cold in March - we were in sweatshirts to watch the sunset.
It was a beautiful sunset and it's good we watched this one because Friday night was cloudy/foggy so there really wasn't a sunset.
Friday morning I got up and went for about a 2-3 mile run (I didn't have my app going) - I ran for 12 minutes and then did 8 minutes of walking lunges and then ran back to where I started and did another 8 minutes of walking lunges.
Friday started out by being sunny by about 9am, but a couple of hours later it was cloudy again. Dave and I walked with Jackson and CJ to get a coffee and continued walking south of the pier to this playground.

I splurged and had a donut...
...worth the calories and the gluten :)
Dave and Jackson played a little Smashball.
Jackson said this was his favorite part of the trip.
On Friday afternoon, since it was Good Friday and we weren't in Phoenix to go to New City, we went to a Good Friday service at Mariner's Church.
Friday night we cooked dinner at the Airbnb and then drove to Huntington Beach for dessert. The kids were there earlier in the day and said there were a bunch of dessert places and wanted to go back. This is a gelato popsicle - mine was plain, but everyone else got theirs dipped.

Saturday morning was super foggy - this picture was pretty close to the pier and you couldn't see it at all.
All the seagulls waiting outside the Dory Fish Market.
The pelican wanted some fish. As I was taking this picture someone told me to be careful that these things will attack. 
Last morning for local Newport coffee (on this trip).
The girls eating their donuts on our patio.
My and Dave's breakfast of eggs, tomatoes, fruit and toast.
We checked out at 10am and headed back to Phoenix. It was a fun trip and hopefully one that the kids will remember for a long time of fun times on spring break.

No comments: