Sunday, August 1, 2010

charity: water

Tonight at church we had a guest speaker, Scott Harrison, from charity: water. He founded this organization in 2006, and it has been able to provide about 1 million people in developing countries with clean water. He talked about his story and how he got started - you can hear him give a short version of that here (I know it is 15 minutes, but it is well worth the time). There is also a public service announcement that they put together here - it shows people in NYC walking with their jerry cans to Central Park to get water.
After being in Honduras, that brown water is what really comes out of the faucets there (and in other developing countries). And I saw numerous people walking around with their jerry cans looking for water during our trip. Fortunately where Kyle is at, there is a well somewhere because he can go to the store and buy drinking water. We were so careful in all the Honduran locations we visited to not use the tap water to brush our teeth, wash vegetables and of course we would never drink it. BUT, 1 billion people don't have any other option - I was so thankful to get to my apartment in NYC after being in Honduras and having to worry about the tap water.
I have already decided I will be giving up my birthday this year (if you watch Scott's story you will know what I am talking about).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

cool organization. i will def check them out further!