Sunday, August 28, 2011

Earthquakes and Hurricanes and Tornadoes, Oh My!

Earthquake - On Tuesday, August 23rd there was a 5.8 magnitude earthquake in Virginia, and its effects were felt in NYC. I was in the subway when the earthquake happened, so I didn't actually feel any of the tremors but I was still here in NYC for it and was part of the evacuations that followed. I also experienced the lack of cell service that was discussed in the news.

Hurricane - Early this morning, Hurricane Irene hit NYC. I already blogged about the preparations, but Irene ended up being a non-event in most of Manhattan. There was some flooding in Battery Park, but in my neighborhood there were just a lot of leaves on the ground as well as some branches. I woke up every couple of hours and turned the TV on throughout the night last night, but I didn't hear the wind at all. I did sleep on my futon and closed my bedroom door so I was not near any windows so that could be the reason. There are some areas in New York and along the east coast that are experiencing significant flooding from Irene. Tonight I am thankful to have power.

Tornado - there was no tornado touchdown in NYC, but we were under a tornado watch from about 9pm last night until 5am this morning. I guess tornadoes are not uncommon with hurricanes.

1 comment:

Mikele said...

Move back here! All we have are haboobs!