Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hunker Down (Hurricane Speak for "Bring It")

It is about 5pm right now in NYC and I am hunkered down in my apartment. I just learned the term "hunker down" yesterday from my cool friends, but today on CNN I have heard the term quite a bit. Hunker down means you are prepared and at the location where you are ready to ride out the storm.

Irene is currently heading straight towards NYC, and the meteorologists are predicting that we will start seeing harsh effects from Hurricane Irene at about midnight tonight. Right now it is on path to potentially be a direct hit.

Fortunately I am not in an evacuation zone - that means that I am not at risk for flooding from a storm surge. Also, it is good that I live on the second floor and have only one window in my apartment. They said the biggest risk for windows shattering are those on the 10th floor and above. Since the window is in my bedroom, tonight I am planning to sleep on my futon and closing my bedroom doors just to stay away from the window.

I started preparing for the hurricane about 48 hours ago. I bought 4 gallons of water on Thursday night, and then last night I went to Trader Joe's to pick up some non-perishable food. I went to the Trader Joe's on the Upper West Side, and had to wait in a line just to get in the grocery store. I tried to buy a flashlight and batteries last night, but I waited too long to do that. Home Depot and Bed, Bath & Beyond both had signs up that said no flashlights or batteries. I do have some Yankee Candles that I can burn (I do have matches) and a crank flashlight that does work.

Otis and Sam are both sleeping and have no idea what is coming. I have moved their carriers from the top of my refrigerator to the ground so I can easily get to them if I need to. They have plenty of food on hand. I am also going to fill up both my bathtub and kitchen sink before I go to bed tonight just in case.

This morning I got up early and went to the gym, and then I walked around the Upper East Side and took some pictures of the hurricane preparations.

This picture was actually taken last night, but most stores had a sign similar to this on their door.
The calm before my storm outside the window of my apartment. I do like the fact that the building to the right sticks out further than my building, and there are buildings directly across the way. That should block some of the wind.
This is what I have been doing most of the day. Switching between CNN and the local NBC news.
My food rations if needed.
This is how Otis is preparing for Irene.
Biscuits & Bath is ready to put some sandbags out.
Some of the stores had duct tape on their windows.
I did not duct tape or board my window...I read that it really didn't do much and it was not suggested.
H&H was still open and had a long line...bagels must be a good hurricane food.
The little deli's were putting out their winter glass protectors.
I saw duct tape on a lot of these things...maybe to keep water from going in the cracks?
Lots of water.
Starbucks was closed already.
This is Morton Williams on my corner. It is never busy, but today it was packed!
Another window with duct tape.
Sam is nervous about the impending hurricane.
She was also looking out the window at the rain.

Their cat post is moved out from my bedroom because they like to sleep on this.
So all I do now is wait. Please join me in praying for God's mercy on NYC!

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Awesome report Kristin! I'm sure an experience like that really brings a group of people together. Currently the Hurricane is down to a Cat1 and may only be a tropical storm by the time it hits NYC. Hopefully that means minimal damage. It looks like you and the cats should be in good shape. Thanks for all the pictures -- I think the duct tape on the metal sidewalk grates is not for leaks, but to keep them from being lifted up and away by the wind....imaging getting hit by something like that! God bless as you ride this out.

...Uncle Kevin

Unknown said...

Hi Kristin - i 1979 when I lived in Silverton, NJ with my townhouse right on Barneget Bay I was hunkered down when Hurricane David came through. We were not told to evacuate and it was a tropical storm by the time it reached NJ/NY. The constant wind with stones pelting on the side of the building and windows was what kept me awake until I was so tired I slept through the night and it was all over in the morning with lots of puddles of water and life back to normal. I am praying for God's mercy and for everyone's awareness that God is the giver of life - eternal life! xoxox Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin-I also enjoyed your blog so I will share it like Kevin did. Good Luck and God Bless! Aunt Colleen

Janis said...

I am praying for you and all those in Irene's path. I wish I could be hunkered down with you, Otis and Sam. Pictures were great--especially like your food and the grates on the sidewalk. Call us anytime and keep us updated. Love you