Friday, October 22, 2010

Squash

I have enjoyed "cooking with the seasons" lately, and therefore have been having lots of squash - mostly acorn squash and zucchini.
The acorn squash is very easy. I cut it in half and put half in the refrigerator for another meal. After scraping out the seeds, I put the other half face down in a pan filled with about 1/4" of water and bake it at 400 degrees for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour (until it is soft throughout). When it is done baking, I put walnuts or pecans in the center, along with some cinnamon and honey and that is dinner.
My other favorite is roasted zucchini using this recipe. It just consists of one zucchini cut in 1" slices, coconut oil, paprika, rosemary, fresh garlic and a little salt and pepper. This can also be a meal for me. If I am really hungry, I may have a Lara Bar with it.
I have a butternut squash sitting on my counter and I am going to make a butternut squash-broccoli dish. Or maybe a butternut squash soup that Martha Stewart made on the Today show a few weeks ago.

No comments: